Scotland Tours Search
Private Walking Tour of Edinburgh New Town and Old Town
Tour Theme: Historic Old Town Walking Tours
This tour starts from: Edinburgh
Duration: Half Day - 2 hour 30min
This is a Private Tour
Two National Trust properties, two centuries and two towns: Old and New. We team up with the National Trust for Scotland on this private tour, combining exceptional storytelling with perfectly preserved houses from the 18th and 19th centuries.
We'll begin at the Mercat Cross, where your private guide will reveal the stories behind the Old Town - a maze of closes and wynds, and a place of chronic overcrowding, where buildings once reached 14 storeys high.
We'll weave our way up to Gladstone's Land on Lawnmarket for a tour of the traditional 18th century tenement house - where you'll see the cramped conditions and terrible poverty.
From cramped tenements to expansive town houses
Then we'll head for the New Town, and a tour of the Georgian House - the National Trust for Scotland's beautifully preserved example of 19th century living. The contrast is marked: spacious interiors, period furniture, a glint of silver and glass.
BOOK THIS TOUR IF YOU'D LIKE TO...
- Explore the contrast between Edinburgh's Old and New Town
- Visit two National Trust for Scotland properties: Gladstone's Land and the Georgian House
- Enjoy a private tour with an expert guide
Tale O'Twa Touns
Operated by: Mercat Tours Rank 9
- 2 Day Tour of Loch Ness and Inverness
- Isle of Skye and Highlands Scotland Tour
- Scotland Highland Explorer Tour
- Outer Hebrides Tour Experience - Skye, Harris and Lewis
- Islay Whisky Adventure Tour Scotland
- Speyside Whisky Trail Tour Scotland
- Orkney Islands and Far North of Scotland Tour
- more Scotland Tours