Scotland Tours Search
Dumfries and Galloway Explorer Pass
Tour Theme: Historic and Cultural Tours
This tour starts from: Glasgow
Duration: 1 Day or more
The key to unlocking hundreds of years of history at some of the top attractions in Dumfries and Galloway. The Dumfries and Galloway Explorer is the ideal way to enjoy the fantastic heritage offered in South West Scotland.
Places to Visit:
- With its moat, twin-towered gatehouse and imposing battlements, Caerlaverock Castle is the epitome of a medieval castle.
- On an island in the River Dee stands Threave Castle, a massive 14th century tower built by Archibald the Grim, Lord of Galloway.
- The majestic ruins of Sweetheart Abbey were founded in 1273 by Lady Devorgilla of Galloway in memory of her husband John Balliol.
- In full working order, the water-powered New Abbey Corn Mill operates regularly in summer months to demonstrate how corn is milled to produce flour. A presentation video gives an insight into the miller’s life and trade.
- Dundrennan Abbey was the retreat of Mary Queen of Scots after the battle of Langside. She spent her last night here on Scottish soil in 1568.
- Maclellan’s Castle The remains of a late 16th century residence demonstrates how the architecture of the period had evolved from the heavily defended tower house to a new more domestic scale.
- The ancient home of the McCulloch’s, Cardoness Castle is a six-storey tower house dating back to the 15th century. Its battlements command excellent views over Fleet Bay.
- Founded around 1192, Glenluce Abbey is situated in a beautiful and peaceful valley. Its ruins include a 16th century chapter house and visitors can see an exhibition of objects excavated on the site.
- Founded by St Ninian in the 5th century, Whithorn Priory & Museum is the site of Scotland’s first Christian church.
Caerlaverock Castle £5.50
Dundrennan Abbey £4.50
MacLellan's Castle £4.50
New Abbey Corn Mill £4.50
Sweetheart Abbey £4.50
Threave Castle £4.50
Total Cost £28.00
Dumfries Pass £20.00
For more details go to prices...
Operated by: Historic Scotland Rank 8
- 2 Day Tour of Loch Ness and Inverness
- Isle of Skye and Highlands Scotland Tour
- Scotland Highland Explorer Tour
- Outer Hebrides Tour Experience - Skye, Harris and Lewis
- Islay Whisky Adventure Tour Scotland
- Speyside Whisky Trail Tour Scotland
- Orkney Islands and Far North of Scotland Tour
- more Scotland Tours